Wednesday, 23 July 2014

Viva Surfers Paradise with Elvis























Did you know that every year Surfers Paradise holds its very own Elvis festival? Viva Surfers Paradise is a free 10 day event that was held from the 11 to the 20 July this year and my friend Nikki and decided to go on a road trip on the last Saturday of the event to check it out for ourselves.

It was a gorgeous day and the vintage cars were on display on the foreshore in all their shiny chromed up goodness. We spent some time admiring the cars and checking out the wares for sale including the tiki stand which we both just had to buy our own little dancing hula girls to put on the dashboard of our cars. There were vintage clothing stalls as well as the usual kitsch with Elvis souvenirs galore. Every where you looked there were Elvis impersonators - all of different body types, ages and bling levels.

In the main tent were Elvis tribute artists competing for the title showcasing the best representation of Elvis himself. This was over three days and we witnessed a few of the performers on this the last day.

We were having a ball and decided to go for a quick walk around to see what else there was in the area and came across a cool little lane way where I spotted a vintage clothing store.  I can't ever go past a store with vintage! As we were walking we were admiring a painted mandala on the wall inside a hair salon called Chameleon New Age Salon. The lovely owner Bronwyn invited us in to take a photo and we discussed mandalas, tattoos and henna. Next was the vintage store: Arkive Vintage. I would highly recommend you check it out as it is easy to see they are very fussy on their choices and also that they include vintage that is on trend. Their range of mens wear is awesome - seriously.  As we spoke to the lovely girl inside she recommended we visit the cafe next door Black Coffee Lyrics. It didn't take much to persuade us so we decided a coffee and a hot chocolate was a good idea. We then added a little treat to share - why not? Great atmosphere and great service. Who could ask for more?

Several Elvis Presley tribute artists had recommended we stay for the night performance starring Chris Connor. We hadn't planned to stay late but as so many people had told us it was a good idea we decided to stick around until the 7pm show.

We had dinner at Govindas where they kindly let me charge my phone while we ate. I needed my phone if we were going to see the greatest Elvis performer in the world!

We headed to the Viva Marquee and found our seats. We were a little early but most seats were already taken so we got there just at the right time.  Nikki snuck up the front a couple of times to take some photos ( including the two of Chris Connor above) and I also did a few times to video on my phone. I was happy to be up there when 'Elvis' was handing out scarves out the end. The atmosphere was amazing, the music superb and yes Chris really did look and sound like Elvis! I think Nikki and I are Elvis fans for life now after the performance and I was so happy we stuck around for it. You can watch my video with some snippets of the performance below. But you really need to get to a performance yourself.

I look forward to going again next year. But this time I want to go to renew my vows with Troy. Yep you can get married by Elvis and I plan on making the most of it!





1 comments:

SurfersParadiseGC said...

Such a great blog about our event, and beautiful photos! Very well written Dark Horse Wanderer. We love feedback about Surfers Paradise and our events. We look forward to seeing you renew your vows at Viva Surfers Paradise in 2015!
Thank you,
Surfers Paradise Community

Post a Comment