Wednesday, 16 July 2014

Silent Theatre

Buster Keaton in Sherlock Jnr

The facade of the Majestic Theatre very early in the morning


















Patrons starting to file into the theatre











Snapshot of us with James Tobin from the Sunrise program

















I had been meaning to visit the Majestic Theatre at Pomona for some time. So when I heard that the Sunrise TV program were filming there and they put the call out for people to come and fill the theatre I thought is was a great opportunity.

I met up with two enthusiastic friends who braved the cold with me for an early 5:30 am start. We were told it was going to be chilly so everyone was rugged up. Hot drinks were being served as we waited for the show to begin.

The theatre is in a small town of about 2,500 people in the Northern end of the Sunshine Coast in Queensland, Australia. So you can imagine the excitement that a real live camera crew were arriving.

I did not know what to expect for the show except to know that as it was a silent movie it meant we would have a talented organ pianist Christopher Rose to play the music accompanying the movie.

It was a small cosy venue with velvet curtains and a disco ball for extra charm. It was announced that the movie would be Sherlock Jnr starring Buster Keaton. Buster Keaton was one of the most famous comedians of the 20s including Charlie Chaplin. James Tobin later told us that it had been named in the top 100 funniest films of all time.

The lights were dimmed and the movie began. It took a moment to get used to not relying on words and CGI for entertainment as we are used to, but as I became absorbed into the movie I began to see how clever these movie makers had to be. I had to admit I never knew what to expect and I became lost in the visual tricks used. People were laughing all around us and before you knew it the movie was over.

The  Pomona Majestic Theatre is the oldest authentic silent movie theatre in the world. We are lucky to have something so unique here in Queensland. I plan on visiting again and perhaps the next time attend one of their concerts. Josh Pyke played here recently as has other notable entertainers such as Katie Noonan and Andrea Kirwin. There is also a restaurant called Valentinos nestled inside the theatre that cater to special events and shows. I heard from visitors that the recent Burlesque show was excellent .

Make sure you catch a show here soon and say yes to new adventures! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment